Fall Decorating on a Budget
There’s just something about decorating for fall that gives us the warm fuzzies! It may be the promise of cool, crisp evenings with brilliant sunsets, or the fact that fall decorating is all about creating a cozy atmosphere in your home. The fun thing about fall decorating is that it’s easy and inexpensive. Here are a few of our favorite fall decor ideas that are easy to accomplish on a shoestring budget.
- Hit your local nursery, grocery store and fabric store for fall color. Place potted chrysanthemums, pansies, croton, purple fountain grass, or flowering kale on your front porch, in your foyer, or around your fireplace to add color. Tuck some mini pumpkins, Indian corn, or gourds around the base of the plants. Instead of spending money on pots, wrap the plant containers in fall print remnants from the fabric store.
- Scavenge your yard for fresh ornamental cuttings. Put on your gardening gloves, grab your cutting shears and a basket, and head outside for some free decor. Fall leaves, small branches, ivy, ornamental grasses, flower blooms, pinecones, and seed pods make great accents. Arrange cuttings on your mantel or dining table with LED flameless candles and small gourds, or place branches and blooms in a large mason jar or vintage pitcher.
- Get creative with pumpkins. There are lots of fun things you can do with a pumpkin besides carving a jack-o-lantern. Try painting some pumpkins in fall colors that coordinate with your home’s decor (we’re big fans of white pumpkins). Or wrap a few large pumpkins in light strands to light up your front porch. Make pumpkin topiaries by stacking three or four on top of a planter, largest to smallest, and wrap then in garland or light strands.
- Create a focal point in your kitchen. In lieu of spreading fall decor all over your kitchen, pick a counter & decorate that! Fill a vase with some wheat, add a few pumpkins & a candle for an adorable look!
- Get cozy with it. Place a few fall-inspired throw blankets around your house in plaids or other fall hues. This not only adds some fall vibes but it’s also practical for when temps start to drop.
- Spruce up your living room seating. It’s so easy to spice up your living room by throwing some fall-colored pillows on your sofa & love seat. Whether you prefer to keep them cohesive throughout the room or want as many pillows as you can get, you can’t go wrong.
- Candles, candles, candles. Fall-scented candles are a must when it comes to fall decorating tricks! You can add them to any room. Try to go for candles with pretty packaging so they can serve as cute decorations as well!
- Fill baskets with fall decor. Pick up some woven or metal baskets to display & store your favorite fall items. Whether you toss in fall-colored blankets or pillows or store some pumpkins in there, you can do no wrong with this simple, yet effective decor idea!
- More ideas for fabrics. You don’t need a sewing machine to make use of fall fabrics. Many fabric stores stock fall prints or have remnant pieces for quilting. Fold a couple of yards of plaid fleece like a throw blanket and drape it over a chair. Wrap your throw pillows in a yard of a fall print and secure it with craft ribbon or safety pins. Fold the raw edges under and iron to make a simple table runner. Wind strips of fabric around a grapevine wreath or use them to tie big bows around your pumpkin stems.
If you love decorating as much as we do, make sure you tag us on Instagram (@thefloodsrealestate) and Facebook (The Floods Real Estate) so we can see your beautiful fall decorations!
Onto the less fun stuff…
Wouldn’t it just be awesome if all you needed to get your home ready for the fall season was a little home decor and pumpkin spice? While decorating for fall is one of the best parts, there are more important (and less fun) tasks that come with being a homeowner which include prepping your home for the changing season. Click HERE to download a copy of our Fall Home Maintenance Checklist and rest easy knowing your home is fully prepared for the season!